Gdynia is a city located on the Bay of Gdansk, situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship. Together with Gdansk and Sopot, Gdynia forms a conurbation called Tricity. Gdynia received city rights in 1926. The impulse for the city’s development was the construction of the port, which was created in order to provide access to the sea routes. Rapid influx of people and dynamic development of the port resulted in transforming the fishing village into the city. The touristic heart of the city is the Kosciuszko Square and the Nowowiejski Boulevard, where you can take a walk and admire the Gulf of Gdansk. The busy and modern part of the city is separated by a lively Swietojanska Street, where are located the most popular restaurants, cafes and shops. It is the street, which in 30s of the 20th century was just an ordinary path, but today is one of the most valued trade streets in Poland. Gdynia’s architecture includes the Archangel’s Church built in the 13th century – the oldest building in the city, as well as the 17th century neo-Gothic manor house situated on Folwarczna Street. Gdynia is often considered as the sailing capital of Poland, the owners of yachts and boats have great conditions to sail. But the coastline and surrounding hills attract not only the sailors, but also the nature lovers. The Kamienna Mountain is a vantage point from where can be admired the amazing panorama of the port of Gdansk, Kosciuszko Square and even the Hel Peninsula. According to experts, the most wonderful beaches and views can be found in Orlowo, which is the southern district of Gdynia. The beach is dominated by a huge steep cliff, which can be a perfect location for taking a romantic photos. Gdynia is the host of the Heineken Open’er Festival, one of the biggest present music festivals in Poland. This happening welcomes many foreign artists every year.
Gdynia among its inhabitants is called “the city made from dreams and sea”. It is made from the dreams of people, who a small seaside fishing village turned into an operationally working port, which has the meaning not only in the Baltic Sea.


Gdansk is one of the oldest Polish cities, with over a thousand years of history. It is a magical city that delights every newcomer. Gdansk is the capital of the Pomeranian Voivodeship and the port city situated on the Baltic Coast. It is a cultural, scientific and economic center and communication junction of northern Poland. Together with Gdynia and Sopot, Gdansk forms a conurbation and metropolitan area known as the Tricity. Together they have a population of over 740.000.
Archeological research indicate that since the 7th century in the area of present Gdansk a fishing settlement had existed. Gdansk as the city was first noted in the literature in the 10th century.
The city has many notable monuments and attractions. The Main Town Hall is a gothic-renaissance building and one of the finest monuments of this kind in Poland. It was built in stages from 1379 to 1492. In one corner of the building there is a sundial from 1589 with a Latin sentence. Dluga Street is the most representative street of the city. In the past, it was the street were the richest inhabitants of Gdansk lived. What is more, most tourist attractions are located along or near Dluga Street (Long Market). We can find here the Neptun’s Fountain, which is the symbol of the city and a masterpiece created by a Dutch architect – Abraham van den Blocke. There is also a renaissance Golden Gate, made in the style of Roman triumphal arches. Another meaningful landmark is the National Museum, which contains a number of significant artworks, for example Memling’s Last Judgement.
A big attraction for children is the ZOO – located on beautiful hills, it has a surface over 100ha of land. In the ZOO live hundreds of species of animals. The main ttraction there is a modern glass house for chimpanzees.
Gdansk is visited every year by millions of tourists. It combines the cultural traditions of many nations. The city is often called the “crown of the Trinity” and is considered as the capital of Pomerania. Appreciate the beauty of Gdansk with all of its interesting monuments and landmarks.

Slowinski National Park

Slowinski National Park is situated on the Baltic coast. Placed between towns of Leba and Rowy, it was established in 1967. The park is one of the 23 national parks in Poland and one of the 2 seaside parks. It was formed to preserve the natural beauty of numerous lakes, swamps, bogs, meadows, forests and especially moving dunes, which are unique and the biggest in Europe. The name of the park originated from the Slovincians – people who used to live in this inaccessible area, where today Slowinski National Park is situated. The importance and value of the park is confirmed by placing it in many international networks of protected areas. In the past, the area of the park was a Baltic Sea bay, but due to activity of the sea, sand dunes were created and are slowly moving, as the wind and waves are continually carrying the sand. The characteristic symbol of the park is a seagull. Slowinski National Park is abundant in different species of fauna and flora, which make it a completely natural place, full of greenery. In the park about 250 species of birds live.
As for the tourist attractions – there are around 140 km of walking tourist routes, which make the park being considered as friendly for walkers and tourists. Contact with nature and breathing unpolluted fresh air are another benefits worth taking advantage of.


Malbork is a town in northern Poland, situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship. Malbork was founded in the 13th century by the Knights of the Teutonic Order. The town is located on the Nogat River – the leg of the Vistula River. The Knights of the Teutonic Order originally named the town Marienburg (in German), which was the name coming from the saint patron of the town – the Virgin Mary. Malbork is especially well known for its huge red brick castle. The Malbork Castle is the largest gothic castle in Europe and one of the most important examples of medieval architecture in Poland. This valuable monument is on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1997. The gothic fortress firstly became the seat of the Teutonic Order. After the battle of Grunwald in 1410, Polish and Lithuanian army besieged the castle and started gradually destroying the Knights of the Teutonic Order. In the 15th century Malbork with its gothic castle were annexed to Poland. Unfortunately, in the 18th century, it was again taken by Prussia. Times of the Second World War were hard for the Malbork Castle. During the war, the castle became the seat of the Nazis and a war camp. In the 1945 it was released by the Red Army, after a long and bloody fight. As a result, the Malbork Castle was half destroyed. After the war, the castle has been mostly reconstructed, although some of the parts of the castle are still in ruins. In the castle there is a museum, which enables visitors to get to know the history of this Gothic brick castle complex. It is undoubtedly one of the finest monuments in Poland.
Although the Malbork Castle is the most popular monument of Malbork, there are also other landmarks worth seeing, like old medieval churches – the church of the Mother of God of the Incessant Help or another one – St. John Baptist Church. One of the interesting sights is the Old Town Hall, which was the medieval seat of the town authorities.

Novo Mesto

Nove Mesto is a city in southeastern Slovenia, situated close to the border with Croatia, around 70 kilometers from Lubljana. It is considered the economic, business, administration and cultural center of the historic Lower Carniola region. Nove Mesto is surrounded by Krka Rivier and the Krka Valley is one of the most beautiful places in Slovenia. The uniqueness of the landscapes is created by numerous windmills and castles which give it an anachronistic look.
The town was first settled in prehistoric times and nowadays it is a very important archaeological site. Nove Mesto was founded in 1365 but until 1918 it was a part of the Austrian monarchy and later on it passed to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, Nazi Germany and the Kingdom of Italy.
One of the important tourist attractions in Nove Mesto is the Museum of Dolenjska which presents the history of the region and displays three permanent exhibitions on: archaeological, ethnological and modern history. The Chapter Church, the Franciscan Church and the Jakcev dom Gallery are also worth visiting.
Nove Mesto is very rich in cultural events that take place every year like: Sniff Festival – short film festival, Jazzinty – jazz festival or SloFolk – International Folklore Festival.
Otocec Castle, situated only 7 kilometers from Nove Mesto, on an island in the middle of the emerald waters of Krka River is a must-see while in the region. Thanks to its unusual location and unique architecture it is one of the most beautiful castles in Slovenia.
Nove Mesto will also be a great choice for those who want to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature. Tourists can select from a wide variety of tracks, walking paths, viewing points, sport activities, hunting, fishing or forest fruit picking possibilities.


Sticna is a village in central Slovenia, around 35 kilometers from Lubjana. It is mainly known for The Cistercian Monastery which every year attracts a considerable amount of tourists. The Cistercian Monastery in Sticna is the most important historical, cultural, architectural and religious monument in Slovenia. It’s important to know that the Cistercian Monastery is the only monastery in Slovenia that operates until today with 10 monks (including the abbot) and 3 nuns who live there. They believe in the motto of Sanint Benedict “Ora et labora” which results in six to eight hours of prayer a day and meals eaten in complete silence.
The monastery was founded in 1135 by Cistercians which makes it the oldest monastery in the country. Within the years the monastery underwent several changes like the construction of thick walls and towers in the 15th century to protect from the Turkish raids.
The architectural features of the monastery complex reflect all the main European architectural styles, from early Romanesque and Gothic to Renaissance and Baroque. The oldest part of the monastery remains preserved in the cloister and monastic church.
In 1784 the monastery was abolished following the Josephine reforms. The White Monks returned to Sticna in 1898 after 114 years away. After the Second World War the monks were forced to leave the monastery again, this time by communists who established there a school and a cheese factory. The monks managed to regain their property and until today they are fighting to restore the monastery to its former glory.
The monastery is arranged for visits and the monastery museum is opened regularly. The museum presents the history of the Cistercian Monastery, the most important events in the history of Roman Catholic religion in Slovenia, works of sacral art and parts of the monastery opened to public like The Basilica of the Sorrowful Mother of God with a baroque altar and frescoes.
In the monastery shop herbals teas produced by the monks that heal all kinds of health problems are sold.
Additional attraction that takes place in Sticna every year in November or December is an art festival – Festival Sticna. For those who are interested in the history of the territory of Slovenia it may be important to know that not far from Sticna an archaeological path that leads to Cvinger is situated.


Ribnica is a town in the southern Slovenia, it is a part of the traditional region of Lower Carniola and it is located around 40 kilometers from Lubljana. According to the archeological evidence the area of Ribnica has been settled in the Bronze Age and it was first mentioned in writing in the 1220 which makes it one of the oldest cities in Slovenia.
A famous landmark of Ribnica is St. Stephen’s Parish Church with an altarpiece which was built in the second half of the 17th century. Its double bell tower which is visible from great distance was designed by Jože Plecnik – a Slovene architect in 1957.
For centuries the inhabitants of Ribnica were mastering the skills of creating wooden goods, so called suha roba (dry goods), which they used not only in their kitchens and homes but as well as a trade commodity. Ribnica has also a good fame in pottery produced by the local craftsmen. These two traditions are alive until today and it’s possible to buy suha roba and pottery in the annual traditional fair that takes place in Ribnica in the beginning of September.
The town crest features a fish because in Slovenian riba means fish. In a small distance from the town flows a river called by the same name as the town – Ribnica.
A big attraction in Ribnica is a partially preserved castle with origins dating back to the 13th century. Unhappily, during the Second World War the castle was destroyed and now only the foundations of the old castle, two defense towers and the linking passage remained. The castle features a memorial park of important contributors to Slovenian’s culture, a summer theatre and a museum of woodenware and pottery.
Ribnica is a great place for those who seek peace and beauty of nature. Thanks to its location it is possible to tour karst caves and chasms, hike and practice skiing in the winter.


Bled is a must visit destination, it attracts tourists not only from Europe but also from all over the world. It is a picturesque town situated in northwestern Slovenia in the middle of the Julian Alps, 45 kilometers from the border with Italy and Austria. Bled is the most popular health resort known for its thermal springs in the whole Slovenia and it is considered a symbol of wealth and luxury. The alpine surrounding creates unforgettable scenery together with: the glacial Lake Bled and its emerald green water, the medieval Bled Castle and a fairy tale Assumption of Mary Pilgrimage Church situated on a small island in the middle of the lake. The Bled Castle overlooks the lake and it is located on a cliff top, 100 meters above the water level, from where you can admire the breathtaking panorama of the region. When the weather is sunny it’s possible to see from there the highest mountain in Slovenia and the highest peak of the Julian Alps – Triglav. Bled Castle is considered to be the oldest Slovenian castle as its origins date back to the beginning of the 11th century but nowadays the castle represents a mixture of styles: from Romanesque tower through Renaissance courtyards and stairs to 16th century chapel pained with illusionist frescoes. The castle is protected by a moat with a drawbridge.
Bled is also a great choice for those who seek peace and beauty of nature. Being situated next to the Triglav National Park it offers a wide variety of mountain hikes. In addition, Bohinj Basin which is a winter and summer sports center is located just 20 kilometers from Bled.
Bled is also famous in the whole Slovenia for the culinary wealth, especially for the famous Kremna rezina, a vanilla and custard cream cake dessert.


Radovljica, often affectionately abbreviated to Radol’ca, is situated in the northwestern part of Slovenia, 55 km from Ljubljana, above the confluence of the Sava Bohinjka and the Sava Dolinka.
The history of Radovljica dates back to the medieval times when settled by the early Slavs the city was evolving from a market town to an important trading center. In the 15th century Radovljica was a castle-town with a church surrounded by city walls and a moat and soon it became a fortress for the region. Radovljica was destroyed by the Turks in 1475 and later on, in the 16th and 17th century, it was rebuilt which gave the town a Gothic and Renaissance character.
The town has many well-preserved tourist attractions like remnants of the medieval city walls, towers and the only remaining defensive moat in Slovenia. The main square named after Anton Tomaz Linhart, a playwright and historian who was born in Radovljica, is a place where events and festivals are regularly held.
Radovljica won’t disappoint even the biggest fans of museums as it offers the unique possibility to visit: The Radovljica Municipal Museum with exhibition about the most important Slovenian dramatists, The Mosnje Local Museum which presents the history of the town, next to which are the archaeological findings of the Roman villa Rustica, The Gingerbread Museum and Workshop and Kropa Blacksmith’s Museum. Another interesting fact about Radovljica is that it is a Slovenian center of beekeeping with a rich history, documented in The Museum of Apiculture.
The most important monument of civil engineering in Radovljica is the Chuch of St. Peter with the vicarage from the 15th century and Sivec House – a completely preserved burgher house with a medieval ground plan decorated with frescos from the 17th century.
Radovljica is also a great choice for those who seek peace and beauty of nature as it is situated on a hilltop with a view a view on the Julian Alps. The town has a wide variety of cycling and hiking paths and just 7 km from Radovljica is situated the most popular tourist destination in Slovenia – Bled. Bled is a town with a glacial Lake and Bled Castle on a cliff top.


Kranj is the fourth biggest city in Slovenia, situated in the northeastern part of the country, built on the shores of Sava and Kokra rivers, on the way from Ljubljana to The Julian Alps. It was once populated by Romans who established there a fortified camp called Carniola, which in the next centuries became a dynamic urban center. Many of historic buildings are very well preserved including a small old town which measures 1km by 250 meters. One of the biggest attractions in Kranj is the St. Cantianius and Companions Parish Church which is the best example of a hall church in Slovenia. It combines different elements from the 15th century with a modern altar. Walking through the historic town you will see the Church of the Holy Rosary (Rozenvenska cerkev) built in the 16th century, which was a Protestant Sanctuary during Reformation, arcades added to the church by the architect Joze Plecnik, a fountain and monumental staircase. Another landmark of Kranj is the Renaissance Kieselstein Castle. Its construction was initiated in the 13th century and over the years underwent several changes, namely during the Turkish invasion in the 15th century, and later on, after it was bought by the baron Johann Jakob Khisl who gave it its present appearance. While visiting the castle the tourists should remember to see the beautiful arcaded courtyard and gardens where concerts and other cultural events take place nowadays.
The newest attraction of Kranj are the Tunnels under the old town center built during the World War II and used by citizens during frequent air-raid warnings and afterwards in the 80s and 90s to grow mushrooms.
Kranj is also well known as the city of sport. It has the biggest aquatic center in Slovenia and several other facilities like: football pitch, basketball court, tennis court, swimming pool, climbing wall. In 2003 Kranj hosted the Men’s European Water Polo Championship.
The city offers a wide range of natural sights and walking tours. A very easy destination is Smarjetna Gora where the Church of St Margaret stands, or the walk along the bank of the Kokra Rivier.