Archive for the ‘Moravia’ Category

Lednice- Valtice complex

valtice4

Lednice and Valtice are small towns located in Southmoravia. This places are well-known bacause of the castles which were listed on World Heritage Site UNESCO It is a great complex of palaces and parks. 

The property in Lednice founded perhaps in 1222 years by Liechtenstein family. In the years 1544-1585 there was a Renaissance castle surrounded by a park, built in the place of an earlier Gothic fortress. The property was later rebuilt several times, the last present appearance owes gothic architectural styling of the mid-nineteenth century. The park around the castle was founded in the sixteenth century. There is erected a romantic ruins of the city, and a single 60-meter tall minaret (today’s vantage point for tourists).
The Valtice castle were also built by the Liechtenstein family about 350 years ago. Valtice is also one of the best-known wine centres in the southern Moravia wine growing region. The Valtice wine company, established in 1640, exports its product around the world the most impressive Baroque residences of Central Europe is surrounded by
an English park with the Temple of Diana (1812) and other neoclassical structures.

Bishop’s Courtyard in Olomouc

169_olomouc5

Bishop’s Courtyard ruins of Romanesque structure located near the cathedral. It was built about 1141 years near the new headquarters in the newly created diocese St. Wenceslas by the then Bishop of Olomouc, Henry Zdik. The three-storey building had three wings surrounding the courtyard (the courtyard on the fourth side was closed earlier, pre-existing structure). In the thirteenth century, was destroyed by the fires. In the years 1435-1441 to the building was added the Gothic chapel of St. John the Baptist.  To this day, preserved in the western and southern wall and the east wing of the building. The preserved parts of the palace is considered to be one of the greatest works of Romanesque residential architecture

Saint Wenceslas Cathedral and St. Ann’s Chapel, Olomouc

katedra ołomuniec

The construction of the temple was begun before the year 1107 by the Duke Swietopelk. Originally built in the Romanesque style. After a fire in 1264 the cathedral was rebuilt in Gothic style. Rebuilding from the years 1883-1892 on the initiative of Archbishop Friedrich von Furstenberg and designed by Gustav Meretty Volkel and Richard gave its present neo-Gothic character with a distinctive southern tower. The tower of the cathedral is measured 100.65 m and that makes it the second most amount of church tower. The cathedral has also the largest bell in Moravia.
Rising on Wenceslas Square (part Vaclavske namesti), in the center building of the castle hill near the St Wenceslas Cathedral is located Late Renaissance sacred structure, St. Ann’s Chapel. In 1617 rebuilding of the chapel was completed in the spirit of Mannerist. Reconstruction was related to Confraternity of St. Anne, who in 1581 renewed its activities at the church of the Jesuits.

Moravian Museum Brno

Brno

Moravian Museum Brno was founded in July 1817 by a decree of Emperor Francis I, that makes it also the oldest one. In every part of Museum You will be introduced into the Moravian culture, history, flora and fauna from prehistory to nowadays. 

The complex include few objects:
Leos Janacek Memorial- situated in the garden house next to the Organ School, where the world famous composer lived in 1910-1928

  • The Memorial of Kralice Bible 
  • The Bishop’s Courtyard is a part of the museum consisting of several historical buildings below the St. Peter-and-Paul Cathedral. 
  • The Old Castle Jevisovice 
  • The Palace of Noble Ladies 
  • The Anthropos Pavilion with paleolithic statue Venus from archaeological site Dolni Vestonice
  • Castle of Budisov
  • The Dietrichstein Palace

The one of the interesting part of museum is the Dietrichstein Palace located near the Vegetable Market, built on the site of the five houses by Kardinal Dietrichstein. In 1700 Domenik Martinell made radical conversion and only the main door and some of the vaults were left intact of the Baroque palace designed by Giovanni Giacom Tencala. In the 19th century was gradually repaired and the effects of an undervaluing of the Baroque architecture of the palace in the 1980s this extension was taken down and the exterior of the building was restored to its Baroque state.

Villa Tugendhat

vill

Constructed by one of the most famous European architects, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in June 1929. It was comissioned by Fritz Tugendhat, Jewish- factory owner.
Family Tugendhat lived there for few years, before the World War II they emigrated to Switzerland. In 1939 Gestapo confiscated the house, and made there office and appartment. Building has survived the War until today in its original form. Villa was reconctructed and in 1994 was opened for visitors. In 2001 was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List as the first modern art monument from Czech Republic. Villa Tugendhat is inspiration for pop culture artists. It was a principal location in the 2007 film Hannibal Rising, and the plot location from Simon Mawer’s book The Glass Room was inspired primarily by the Villa Tugendhat.

Old Town Hall in Brno

city-hall-tower

Old Town Hall is the oldest secular building in Brno. The historical origins of the building go back to around 1240. This monument is connected with many legends. It served as a town hall from 1373 to 1935. It was reconstructed and renovated few times, and now it representing Gothic, Renaissance also Baroque style. The observation tower, which is nearly 63 meters high, gives a view over the whole city. In the rear wing of the town hall premises was also city prison.


Old Town Hall is available for tourist in summer time.

Old Town in Brno

brno_historic_c (1)

Brno has two squares, Freedom and Vegetable . Both are mostly closed for cars. Freedom Square is one of the oldest part of city, its origin dates back to the 13th century. Also know as a Lower Market in trangular shape it’s a heart of Brno. Near the Freedom Square are located most interesting monuments in the city. We can admire, among other things, the architecture of the House of Lords of Lipa, Klein´s Palace, Plague Pillar, Kounitz Palace and the House of Four Giants.
The Vegetable Market is located in the middle of city. Originally it was called Upper Market. Currently fresh fruit and vegetables are sold there. In the middle of the Market is situated a Parnas Fountain. It was built between 1690 and 1695 according to the design of Vienna architect Jan Bernard Fischer from Erlach. It represents a symbol of three old empires – Babylon, Persia and Greece.
Under Vegetable Market there is a Labyrinth, it is a system of underground corridors and cellars, built since the middle ages most of them dates back to the baroque era. The cellars served for food keeping, beer brewing, maturing of wine in barrels, and other things.
5 minute walk form the Freedom Square we find St. James Church. It was founded in XIII th century and it represents gothic style. Tower has 92 m height and was finished in the year 1592. In 2001 archeological exploration revealed the size of Brno Ossuary, an ossuary underneath the square by the church. It is estimated to contain the remains of 50,000 people which makes it the second-largest ossuary in Europe after the Catacombs in Paris.
Also Brno Capuchins Monastery and Crypt is located near the Freedom Square. The complex was founded in the middle of XVII th century. The front side of the church is decorated with the Baroque sculptures by Jan Adam Nessman from 1765. But the most known part of this complex is the basement with people burried in the crypt which represent all the society levels from time of monastery founding till the year 1787.
Brno as a historic place, can boast also of secular buildings like Old Town Hall or Villa Tugendhat, pearl of modern art. The city offers a rich collection of monuments available in historic buildings in Moravian Museum in Brno which is the second largest muzeum in Czech Republic

Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Brno

6_Petrov_z0110

Probably built on the site of the first castle in Brno from the XIIth century on top of a hill Petrov. Originally built in the Romanesque style was rebuilt in the thirteenth century in Gothic style. Over the next rebuild lost the purity of architectural style – the current form is the result of reconstruction from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when given the building a Gothic style and completed towers. The baroque interior of the cathedral, the towers of the treasury and crypt (the only surviving part of the Roman church) are available for tourist. The tower offers a wonderful view over the old town.

The Castle in Brno

Spilberk

At first step it was a castle then a fortress, and finally, it become a key element of the fortress that has happened in the seventeenth century, Brno. It began to be built as early as the first half of the 13th century by the Přemyslid kings and complete by King Ottokar II of Bohemia. During the World Wars I and II it was a prison, and a shelter for Nazis. Nowadays Spilberk became the seat of the Brno City Museum.
Permanent exhibitions:

  • Spilberk – from castle to castle (history of the object)
  • Spilberk – a prison of nations
  • From the Renaissance to Modernism – Gallery
  • The Casemates – a dungeon under the castle
  • Baroque pharmacy
  • The new Brno – the architecture of the interwar
  • John Heatfield – an exhibition of photomontages
  • Baroque chapel
  • Lapidary – a collection of several works of stone from the area of Brno 
  • Exhibition about the history of production fireworks

 

Ostrava

ostrava

Ostrava is named after the river Ostra (today – Ostravica). It is the third largest city in Czech Republic. Place was called “steel heart of the republic” during communist era because of its high quality black coal deposits. City, located near to the Polish border, is administrative center of Moravian-Silesian Region.
Ostrava was important place of Amber Road, then trading trail. Settlement is dated for 25 000 years. Archaeologists found figure Venus of Petrkovice, in Czech: Petrkovicka venuse. We can see this figure in Anthropological Institute situated in Brno.
Untill the XX century Ostrava was small town fragmented on Silesian Ostrava, Moravian Ostrava and few others commune.The original plan of the United Ostrava was completed on July 1941 after the occupation of Czechoslovakia by the German army. During the communism in Ostrava were built few socjalists developments.
Today in Ostrava is a lot of monument, mostly from the XIX and XX century. Most interesting is Masaryk Square, it has been marked out in medieval Moravian Ostrava, was the heart of the economic, cultural and social life. It is named for Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk, the first President of Czechoslovakia. Around the Square are located building in Modern Art and Art Nouveau style.
In Silesian Ostrava is situated a castle dated on XIII century. The castle had few different owners, but just in 2001 the city diecided to buy and recontruct building. Today, there is an art gallery and small historical exposition about the history of the building, the city, the Hussite War and the Thirty Years War. On the upper level you can enjoy the panorama of the city