Zica monastery was built nearby Kraljevo, on the spot which is of the same distance from both Rome and Constantinople. Zica was completed after the Serbian Church got its independence in 1219. This monastery was the first seat of the Serbian Archbishopric. It was destroyed by the Tatars in the late 13th century. Then great restoration works were conducted in the 19th century. It was destroyed once again by the Nazi bombardment in the WWII. Eight centuries of its existence, the Zica Monastery celebrated in 2006-2008. Along with the Studenica and Hilandar Monasteries, Zica constitutes an integral triad (three in one, a trinity), the foundations of the Serbian statehood. Zica “of Seven Doors” and its Church of the Ascension (Holy Salvation Church) is built in the Romanesuque style. It is painted in red, like the greatest Mount Athos churches.
Studenica monastery is situated between Kraljevo and Raska in the central Serbia. Studenica is called “the Mother of all the Serbian churches”. It is one of the largest and richest Serb Orthodox monasteries. The monastery is dedicated to the Presentation of the Holy Virgin and was built by the “father” of the Serbian people – the Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja. It was completed in 1196. Like all other Serbian holy places, Studenica was damaged in the Turkish times and thorough restoration was conducted in the 19th century. The monastery’s fortified walls encompass two churches: the Church of the Virgin, and the Church of the King, both of which were built using white marble. The monastery is best known for its collection of 13th- and 14th century Byzantine-style fresco paintings. ‘Crucifixion’ is one of the most beautiful frescoes not only in Serbia, but in the world as well. In 1989, Studenica Monastery became the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Gamzigrad – palace of Galerious is an archeological site of Serbia. It is located south of the Danube river , near the city of Zajecar. This is the location of the ancient Roman complex of palaces and temples. It was built by Emperor Caius Valerius Galerius Maximiamianus in late 3rd and early 4th centuries. The emperor named the palace after his mother and it became known as Felix Romuliana. Archaeological excavations have unearthed the remains of a Roman compound with 2 temples, 2 palaces and a building with mosaics depicting Greek gods Dionysos and Medusa, figural capitals of Hercules, hot baths, gates and fortifications. Pilasters of Emperors Diocletian, Maximian, Galerius, Licinius, Maximinus and Constantine and other treasures (like Roman gold coins) are among spectacular finds. Romula and the founder Galerius were buried in the two mausoleas on the Magura hill. The Northern Temple is similar to the Jupiter temple at Diocletian Palace in Split, built in 305 AD. The remains include a high podium, crypt, stairway and sacrificial altar. It was made of green and white stones and marble. And it was dedicated to goddess Libera. First Palace in the north, it was made of marble, green and red stones. The floor is completely covered by a mosaic carpet with a labyrinth in its center and geometric motives. The central hall is ornamented with geometrics scenes. The second Palace has only been partially researched. The Grand Temple dominates the south of the compound. It consists of the podium, stairway and cella. There is a double crypt too. It was made of white marble. The World Heritage Committee decided to place Gamzigrad-Romuliana, Palace of Galerius on the World Heritage List. Felix Romuliana is a popular tourist stop on the Roman Emperors’ trail.
Tara (National Park) is one of the most beautiful mountains in Serbia with its forests, ravines, clearings, cliffs, caves and meadows. Tara was declared a National Park in 1981. It lies in the Western Serbia, in a large bend of Drina Rivar. The size of this park is about 220 sq km. . Forests account for three quarters of this national park’s area. The Drina Gorge, which is an integral part of park, can be toured by boat. This is a special attraction and memorable experience. Tara offers excellent conditions for relaxation and recreation all over the year. The mountain of Tara consists on the whole of 3 regions such as: Kaludjerske Bare, Rastiste and the highest peak – Kozji Vrh (1.591 m). There are a few wonderful valleys of the rivers of Drina, Raca, Derventa, Beli Rzav, that makes in their courses nice canyons, caves and hallows, ideal regions for the life of big wild animals, especially bears. Mountain of Tara is very rich with animals. It is home to many different species of wildlife, including brown bears, chamois, roe deer, lynxes, otters, wolves and others. More then 100 bird species also make their homes on the slopes of the mountain ( the golden eagle, the griffon vulture, the black grouse) and many others. Tara is during the year, in summer and in winter months, very suitable for developing of tourism on various levels. In the summer period of the year there is a lot of sunny days, and in the winter period of the year there is a lot of snowy days. Here is a continental climate with warm summers. The autumn is warmer then spring. The main tourist points are Kaluderske Bare on the north, close to Bajina Basta, and Mitrovac on the south. Ideal condition in the winter is running-on skis, a long promenades, with pleasant picnics with trumpet music, with local cooked.
Ravanica Monastery is located about 10 km east of the town of Cuprija. It is considered to be one of the most impressive buildings of the Moravska architectural style. Monastery was built between 1375 – 1377, by king Lazar. He was killed in the Battle of Kosovo a couple of years after having completed the monastery. He was buried in here. It was the largest and most important foundation by him. Ravanica used to be heavily fortified, like many Serbian medieval monasteries. The remainings of the walls can still be seen surrounding the complex. The church was built of stone and bricks. Ravanica Monastery consists of the Ascension Church, dining room, dormitory and fortification with seven towers, that protected the monastery in ancient times. The highest tower was also a chapel, now mostly in ruins.
Ljubostinja monastery is situated in the valley of Ljubostinja River, 5 km north of Trstenik. The monastery was built from the 1388 to 1405 and it is one of the most beautiful examples of the Serbian Medieval architecture. Monastery was built of stones and is famous for richly exterior sculptured windows, lunettes and rosettes. It’s dedicated to the Assumption of the Holy Virgin. Frescoes of Ljubostinja Monastery were painted just after the Battle of Kosovo (1392) and 10 years later (1403). In the narthex of Ljubostinja Monastery there are portraits of endowers – Prince Lazar and Princess Milica and Despot Stefan and his brother Vuk, pained by H. Makarije. After the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 when King Lazar was killed, Queen Milica left the throne to her older son Stefan and became nun Evgenija. At the time of Serbian history after the tragic Kosovo Battle many widows of tragic Serbian soldiers and Noblemen went to Monasteries. Today Ljubostinja is female monastery which preserves and maintains about fifty nuns.
Djerdap National Park is situated in the north-east of the Republic of Serbia. Total surface of the National Park is 63.608 ha. The Park stretches along the right bank of Danube, for about 100 km, from Golubac to Karatas near Kladovo. It includes forested hills. The most characteristic feature are forests ( it is more then 60% surface). There are a lot of flora and fauna species, geomorphologic objects and cultural monuments from varous historical periods. The National Park Djerdap is also a river national park. The Danube passes through three canyon-gorge valleys (Golubacka, Gospodin Vir, Canyon of Veliki Kazan and Mali Kazan). And there are three open valleys (Ljupkovska, Donjomilanovacka, Orsavska).
The Djerdap National Park has become one of the most visited tourist regions in Serbia. There are a lot of tourist points in the park with hotel and other facilities, offering tourists rest and swimming and tours of the cultural and historical monuments and natural values.
Golubac Castle was built in the 14th century and is located between Smederevo and the Iron Gate on the Danube River in Serbia. Now, it is a popular tourist attraction in the region and a sightseeing point on Danube boat tours. The fortress is split into three compounds which were built in stages. It has ten towers. Golubac’s structure was modified over time, as is the case with many fortresses. For years, there were only five towers. Later, four more were added. The towers were all built as squares. The Turks fortified the western towers with cannon ports. Then Hungarian added the final tower in 1481.
Golubac Fortress has had a complicated history. Prior to its construction it was the site of a Roman settlement. During the Middle Ages, it became the object of many battles, especially between the Ottoman Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary. It changed hands repeatedly, passing between Turks, Bulgarians, Hungarians, Serbs, and Austrians, until 1867, when it was turned over to the Serbian Knez, Mihailo Obrenović III.
Belgrade is the capital of Serbia. It is the largest city in this country and one of the oldest cities in Europe. The city is located at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers. It has an urban area of 360 square kilometres , while together with its metropolitan area it covers 3,223 km2 . There are, about 31 days a year when the temperature is above 30 °C, and 95 days when the temperature is above 25 °C. In Belgrade there are many international cultural events, like the Theatre Festival, Film Festival, Music Festival ,Summer Festival, Book Fair, and the Beer Fest.
You should visit:
- The National Museum –it is the most known museum in Belgrade, founded in 1844
- The Ethnographic Museum, established in 1901, contains more than 150,000 items showcasing the rural and urban culture of the Balkans
- The Museum of Contemporary Art has a collection of around 35,000 works including A. Warhol, J. Miro, I. Mestrovic and others since 1900
- The Military Museum has collection of more than 25,000 military exhibits dating as far back as to the Roman period
- The Museum of Aviation in Belgrade has more than 200 aircraft
- The National Theatre and Madlenianum Opera House – Belgrade’s two opera houses
- In Belgrade there are a lot of theatres e.g. Theatre on Terazije, Yugoslav Drama Theatre, Zvezdara Theatre, and Atelier 212
- Nikola Pasic Square and Students’ Square – there are the central town squares
- The Kalemegdan Fortress – the oldest parts of this fortress date back on the 1st century AD
- Knez Mihailova Street is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in the city
- The Parliament
- The Church of Saint Sava is the largest in the Balkans cathedral and one of the 10 largest church buildings in the world
- Beli Dvor (‚White Palace’) – house of royal family Karadordevicc
- The Old Palace which was built between 1882 – 1884, designed by A. Bugarski
- Ada Ciganlija – it’s a former island on the Sava river. It is the biggest sports and recreational complex of Belgrade