Archive for the ‘Vojvodina’ Category

Petrovaradin Fortress

petrovardian

It was the largest fortification in Austria- Hungary, based on Voban’s plans started in 1692 at the placeof a previous fortress. It is located on the right bank of the Danube river. The Fortress occupies the space of 112 ha.Nowadays, one of the most impressive buildings of military architecture of 18th century is called The Gibraltar on the Danube River. What is interesting Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels and it has never been conquered by enemy It survived Austrian- Turkish wars. In the 20th  century Fortress was a part of Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes -later known as Yugoslavia. Fortress has a clock called “Reserved clock”. What is interesting, the big hand shows hours, and the small hand shows minutes. In 1992 Fortres wad added to Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance list. Petrovaradin Fortress has held EXIT festival since 2001. This is one of the best summer music festival in Europe.

Strand Beach on the Danube

strand

Strand is told to be the most beautiful beach on the Danube. It was opened to public in 1911, but it had been popular among citizens, long before that event . In the end of 19th century the most popular beach was The Stengl Danube Baths. 20th century has brought appreciable changes. There were intorduced wooden changing cabins, bicycles, showers, restaurants, boat rental servoce, unisex beaches etc. Nowadays, Strand is open all-year-round. Tourist can use basketball and volleyball courts, mini-golf field and playgounds. During the season we can  participate in various concerts, festivals, culture events and competitions. What is more Strand hosts the VIP Challenger Beach Volley Tournament ans daily beach parties during the Exit Festival.

The Danube Park

danubepark

This is well-known and the prettiest park in Novi Sad located in the city center. Park covers an area of 33 square meters and is filled by 250 plant species. Location of the park was regulated in 1985. In the park we can find few monuments: a statue of the Venerable Sergije Radonjeski, a statue of Dura Jaksic, a bust of Miroslav Antic and a bust of Branko Radicevic. This charming place features rare species of trees- plane trees, broch trees, fir trees, chesnut, silver linden trees, cypress etc. After walk we can sit on the bench and admire beautiful pond, which is home to some ducks, swans and fish. The Park is protected by Institute for Nature Conservation of Serbia.

Zrenjanin

zrenjanin

Zrenjanin is the third biggest city in Vojvodina. It has a number of bridges thanks to which it is sometimes called the “city of bridges”.

One of the best-known places in Zrenjanin is the City Hall, founded in 1779. It is the most characteristic building of the whole town. In its backyard there is the City Park, which was created over one hundred years later after the Hall. The park is opened for its visitors during the summer season. The Thatre in Zrenjanin is the oldest theatre in Serbia. It is said that the building was erected to meet expectations of a quite demanding lover of a local count, Ignac Hertelendy. It was founded in 1839.

Uspenska Church is the oldest church in Zrenjanin. It was built in 1746. It is a great example of the Baroque-style architecture. Its interior is covered with fine paintings and icons. Recently, the flood lights were installed around the church, so it can be admired also at night.

Another popular attraction is the Cathedral of Saint John of Nepomuk. It was built on the place of a mosque erected during the Ottoman rule, which was later ruined by the Austrians. The present-day cathedral was built in 1864. It is situated by the city’s square – Trg Slobode.

The very square, Trg Slobode (eng. Freedom Square), is a heart of Zrenjanin. It consists of very important buildings, including the City Hall, the Theatre, the Museum and many more interesting places that are worth visiting.

Vrsac

vrsac

Vrsac is a city, where tradition mixes with modernity. Tourists who are willing to famliarize themselves with historical heritage of Vrsac should visit the Vrsac Museum. Its museum pieces were collected for almost two hundred years. Visitors interested in contemporary times may see the Millennium Center, which was opened in 2001. It acts as a stage for concerts, sport events and other forms of entertainment. It has a capacity of 4,500 viewers.

The symbol of the city is the Vrsac Castle dated to 15th century. Presently, it is being recreated, as only the Donjon tower stood the test of time. From its top tourists can admire wonderful views, including lands of Romania. There are also two Serb Orthodox monasteries: Mesic, built in 1225 by Arsenije Bogdanovic, and Srediste built in 15th century by Jovan Brankovic. The first monastery was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance.

Local lands are covered with numerous vineyards, which are characteristic feature of this region. There are also many wineries – especially recommended place of this kind is Vinik winery that was awarded gold and silver medals and became a champion of the region several times.

Flora and fauna of Vrsac hill is extremely rich. The hill belongs to the list of the Important Bird Areas (there are around 130 bird species). It is also the only place in Serbia inhabited by snipes.

Novi Sad

novisad2

Sremski Karlovci is a small city located by the Danube River, 8 km from Novi Sad. The first mention of Sremski Karlovci comes from 1308. Since 1521 it had been a part of the Ottoman Empire for the next 170 years. In 1698 it was the place of a congress, which was supposed to end the conflict between the Ottoman Empire and an alliance of European powers (the Holy League). It finished with the Treaty of Karlowitz. Then, the city became a part of the Habsburg Empire.

The first Serbian gymnasium (a sort of school that provides advanced secondary education) was founded in the town in 1791. In 1793 an Orthodox seminary (Blogoslovija) was also built there – it is the second oldest building of this kind in the world. Both buildings still exist. Especially famous object in Sremski Karlovci is a Baroque fountain “Four Lions” built in 1799. It was designed by Giuseppe Aprili, an Italian architect. According to the legend, whoever drinks water from it will return to the town and get married.

Another place worth visiting is the Patriarchy Court with its Treasury. Unfortunately, most of treasures were stolen during the WWII and ended in Zagreb, Croatia. However, its remains can still be admired in The Museum of The Serbian Orthodox Church. Famous destinations in the city are also Lower Church built in 1599, with a popular tree in its churchyard that was planted shortly after the building was finished (now, under protection) and Upper Church built in 1559, with a graveyard consisting of graves of priests and Serbian patriarchs.

Tourists’ favourite destination is also the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, in which almost all local metropolitans were buried. Places that should not be missed as well are a two-hundred-year-old institution, Magistrat (the City Hall) and the Cathedral Church of Saint Nicholas built in 1758, famous for beautiful icons that adorn the interior of the cathedral.

Palic Lake

palic

For the first time Palic Lake was mentioned in historical documents in 1462. However, it is believed to be created in ancient times, as an outcrop lake. The water from the surrounding terrain was poured into the lake, washing the sodium chloride. Then, Palic became a salty lake.

Palic, located 8 km from Subotica, is a favourite tourist destination in Vojvodina. It is a picturesque place famous for its charming architecture, beautiful parks and health-beneficial, natural environment. The coastline of the lake is 17 km long. It provides a number of attractions for active recreation, including walking alleys, cycle lines and coach driving paths.

Palic Lake is also a SPA resort since 19th century. The mineral water from local springs have a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit). The mud from the lake has medicinal properties as well. Buildings of the SPA welcome its customers with an entrance gate – Palic Water Tower. Other attractions are the Great Terrace, the Musical Pavilion and the Women’s Beach.

Today, Palic Lake is a modern tourist resort with a number of eccentric villas, elegant hotels, sport facilities, beaches and a zoo.

Subotica

subotica

Throughout the whole history Subotica possessed almost 200 different forms of its name, as it was willingly visited by various people since Middle Ages. They used to name the city in their own languages. Therefore, Subotica was once called Zabatka, Sobotka, Sent-Maria or Maria-Theresiapolis (in honor of Maria Theresa of Austria).

After the Tatar invasions (1241-1242) people moved from destroyed neighbourhood to the lands of today’s Subotica. Then, in 1391 it was recorded as a town and became a part of the Hungarian Kingdom. Subotica was also under control of the Ottoman Empire and the Habsburg Monarchy. The rich history of the city is a reason of its multicultural nature.

Subotica has the biggest number of buildings in the art nouveau style. An exquisite example of it is the City Hall built between 1908-1910. It is the biggest building of this kind in the whole Vojvodina. Another highly popular place among tourists is the Raichle Palace. Originally it was a house that belonged to a famous architect of the same name. Presently, the building serves the function of the Modern Art Gallery. In 1890 the City Library was built. It was designed by the above-mentioned architect, Ferenz Raichle. Now, it holds a large collection of various books. One of the greatest examples of religious architecture in the art nouveau style is a beautiful Synagogue built in 1901. It was declared a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance.

Fans of drama should not miss a visit to the National Theatre in Subotica. The first building was erected in 1854, however it was rebuilt on several occasions (last time in 2007). It was listed in the National Register as a monument of an extraordinary cultural value.

Sremski Karlovci

sremskikarlov

Sremski Karlovci is a small city located by the Danube River, 8 km from Novi Sad. The first mention of Sremski Karlovci comes from 1308. Since 1521 it had been a part of the Ottoman Empire for the next 170 years. In 1698 it was the place of a congress, which was supposed to end the conflict between the Ottoman Empire and an alliance of European powers (the Holy League). It finished with the Treaty of Karlowitz. Then, the city became a part of the Habsburg Empire.

The first Serbian gymnasium (a sort of school that provides advanced secondary education) was founded in the town in 1791. In 1793 an Orthodox seminary (Blogoslovija) was also built there – it is the second oldest building of this kind in the world. Both buildings still exist. Especially famous object in Sremski Karlovci is a Baroque fountain “Four Lions” built in 1799. It was designed by Giuseppe Aprili, an Italian architect. According to the legend, whoever drinks water from it will return to the town and get married.

Another place worth visiting is the Patriarchy Court with its Treasury. Unfortunately, most of treasures were stolen during the WWII and ended in Zagreb, Croatia. However, its remains can still be admired in The Museum of The Serbian Orthodox Church. Famous destinations in the city are also Lower Church built in 1599, with a popular tree in its churchyard that was planted shortly after the building was finished (now, under protection) and Upper Church built in 1559, with a graveyard consisting of graves of priests and Serbian patriarchs.

Tourists’ favourite destination is also the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, in which almost all local metropolitans were buried. Places that should not be missed as well are a two-hundred-year-old institution, Magistrat (the City Hall) and the Cathedral Church of Saint Nicholas built in 1758, famous for beautiful icons that adorn the interior of the cathedral.

Krusedol Serbian Orthodox Monastery

krusedol

Krusedol Monastery is the best-known of the 16 monasteries located on Fruska Gora mountain that used to be a centre of political and religious life of the local Serbian society. Krusedol is a Serbian Orthodox monastery built between 1509 and 1514 and is an example of Moravian Style. It was founded by Bishop Maksim and his mother Angelina, who belonged to the famous Brankovic family from Srem. The whole family (including the Bishop), as well as two Orthodox patriarchs (Arsenije III and Arsenije IV), were burried in the monastery. Maksim and his mother laid together in one coffin by the altar in Krusedol, however their bodies were burnt in 1716, during the Battle of Petrovaradin. Minor parts of Maksim’s body and the left arm of Angelina remained untouched and became the holy relics of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

The Krusedol Monastery is covered with unique frescoes from 16th and 17th century. Tourists can also observe beautiful byzantine icons from between 16th and 19th century. The monastery is under protection of Serbia, as it was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1990.