The Glade of Fairy Tales is a museum in the open air, situated 5km away from Yalta and is one of the peculiar places you can see in the Ukraine and what’s more, it is an union of museum, sculpture gallery and zoo. It is located at the foot of Stavry-Kaya cliff („Cross cliff”) on the right bank of the Vodopadnaya Stream („Waterfall stream”) and was founded in 1960 by Pavel Bezrukov. It has a collection of 300 wooden sculptures, Crimean and Greek legends, many beloved cartoon heroes and the personages of the famous Russian and Ukrainian fairy-tales. Fantastical fairy-tales characters are transformed from old stumps, logs or roots. Thirty knights of the Pushkin armed with spears and shields stand on guard to protect the rest of the inhabitants of the glade.
Uspensky Cave Monastery is a Monastery of the Dormition of the Virgin nearby Çufut Qale in the Crimea. It is situated at the south part of the Crimean Peninsula, in the half-way between Simferopol and Sevastopol and was hollowed out in rocky ravine’s slope in the Crimean Mountains. This monastery constitutes the Crimean centre of the Orthodox. It originated in the 15th century and there is a legend related to that monastery, which explains the reason to why it was built. It is said that one night a shepherd was outside, when he saw a candle illuminating a figure of Jesus’s mother. A prince, who lived in Chufut-Kale, ordered the icon to be immediately brought to his palace, but when he woke up in the next morning, the figure was gone and then it showed that it had returned to its previous place – on the cliff.
Çufut Qale is a medieval cave city – fortress in the western part of the Crimea near the Bakhchisaray. Its name in the language of Crimean Tatars meant Jewish fortress. It is the best-preserved one of the Crimean cave cities from 6th century (according to other scientists – from 10-11th century). Currently city’s remnants, though significantly destroyed, create an impression on visitors. In the old part of the city we can see ruins of the mosque and mausoleum where grave of Dianika-khan, the daughter of the khan Tokhtamysh, is situated. On the other hand, in the new part of the city there is a well-preserved household from 17th century, which shows what old structure of dwelling houses and way of development of the city could look like. In the Bakhchisaray there are a few old cave cities similar to Çufut Qale and also worth seeing, like Mangup, Eski-Kermen, Tepe-Kermen and Baqla.
One of the most important monuments in the Crimea is The Crimean Khan’s Palace in Bakhchisaray- reminiscence of ancient Tartar power. This palatial complex was built in the middle of the 16th century and it takes up an area of 4 hectares, but in the past it was much bigger. It was supposed to be an embodiment of the Garden of Eden and that’s why charming yards are filled with green, flowers, trees and numerous fountains. Being in the Crimea you shouldn’t forget about numerous rocky cities. The best-preserved one is Çufut Qale located on a hill near the Bakhchisaray.
Waterfall Uchan-Su is the biggest at an altitude of 100 metres and the most spectacular waterfall in the Ukraine, located 4km away from Yalta. It is especially beautiful during the snow-melt season and is situated on the river of the same name. Uchan-Su is a periodic waterfall, the biggest flows are on record in the spring, whereas in the summer it almost disappears. Deafening rumble of the falling water stretches far around, and the jet is hidden under the opaque cover of aerosols. Greeks used to call it „Kremasto-nero” – a „hanging water”, Turks appropriated its name – Uchan-Su – a „flying water”. Beautiful pine forests, sound of the falling water and mountain air full of resin’s smell make it one of the most attractive places on the southern coast for tourists from all corners of the world.
Holy Virgin Church, located on the south coast of Crimea, was built in 1885 at the request of the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia. Avdeev – famous architect, author of the Vladimir Cathedral in Sevastopol, prepared a design. For 6 months the temple was done and completed in the Georgian-Byzantine style and in the design the architect used ornaments and images of the Italian mosaic – Antonio Salviati. In the early 20th century it was recognised for one of the most beautiful temples on the southern coast of the Crimea. In 1924 the church was closed and then, in 1928, was expected to demolish. The church returned to the Church in 1992 and now in it we can see partially preserved images of the saints, a complete image of the icon of the Holy Virgin and the twelve apostles.
John Chrysostom Church was built in the heart of the Yalta on the Polikurovski Hill. The temple was built at the public expense at the governor earl Vorontsov’s personal request. The first cathedral church in the Yalta was built by drawnings’ architect Torricelli. In the 80 years of 19th century Cathedral of St. John Chrysostom underwent the considerable restructuring. In 1941 John Chrysostom Church was burned during the German occupation in Yalta, the only extant thing was the belfry, which was used as a navigation mark. The church was consecrated in October 1883 at the Andrew L. Wrangell’s proposal taking patronage of the St. Andrew Bishop Tauride.
This orthodox cathedral was built in 1902 in thanks for saving tzar Alexander II of Russia from attack organized by tzar’s opponents on imperial train leading from Crimea to the capital. Design of the Orthodox church was carried out by Krasnov and Tieriebieniev. In 1908 next to the Orthodox church was raised a building constituting seat of brotherhood of the Orthodox church. In 1938 belfry of the Orthodox church was destroyed and in the same year parish was closed. Not until 1945 the cathedral was opened again. The church presents the Russian Revival architecture, it is painted white and yellow andavishly embellished with bas-reliefs and Ogee-shaped arches. In the belfry of the Orthodox church there are 11 bells cast in Moscow.
One of the most famous historical monuments of Yalta, favourite place of tourists who come to the Crimea. Beginnings of this architectural-garden complex date back to 1783, when Polish magnate’s, Lew Potocki’s daughter created a beautiful park around the residence on 80 hectars area. The palace possesses charakteristics of the Neo-Renaissance and Neo-baroque style. This palace used to be the residence of Alexander III of Russia – emperor of Russia. Its construction, commissioned by governor’s heir – prince Vorontsov began in 1881. Today the palace is a favourite trip’s place, not only for inhabitants of the Ukraine, but also for people all over the world.
The most impressive thing in Yalta is The Swallow’s Nest built on a high cliff close by coast. It was built between 1911 and 1912 in Gaspra, on top of 40-metres. The castle overlooks the Cape of Ai-Todor of the Black Sea and is located near the remnants of the Roman castrum of the Charax. Swallow’s Nest is one of the most popular visitor attractions in Crimea, becoming the symbol of Crimea’s southern coastline. Its original design envisioned a foyer, guest room, stairway to the tower, and two bedrooms on two different levels within the tower. The interior of the guest room is decorated with wooden panels; the walls of the rest of the rooms are stuccoed and painted. An observation deck rings the building, providing a view of the sea, and Yalta’s distant shoreline.