Malbork

Malbork is a town in northern Poland, situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship. Malbork was founded in the 13th century by the Knights of the Teutonic Order. The town is located on the Nogat River – the leg of the Vistula River. The Knights of the Teutonic Order originally named the town Marienburg (in German), which was the name coming from the saint patron of the town – the Virgin Mary. Malbork is especially well known for its huge red brick castle. The Malbork Castle is the largest gothic castle in Europe and one of the most important examples of medieval architecture in Poland. This valuable monument is on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1997. The gothic fortress firstly became the seat of the Teutonic Order. After the battle of Grunwald in 1410, Polish and Lithuanian army besieged the castle and started gradually destroying the Knights of the Teutonic Order. In the 15th century Malbork with its gothic castle were annexed to Poland. Unfortunately, in the 18th century, it was again taken by Prussia. Times of the Second World War were hard for the Malbork Castle. During the war, the castle became the seat of the Nazis and a war camp. In the 1945 it was released by the Red Army, after a long and bloody fight. As a result, the Malbork Castle was half destroyed. After the war, the castle has been mostly reconstructed, although some of the parts of the castle are still in ruins. In the castle there is a museum, which enables visitors to get to know the history of this Gothic brick castle complex. It is undoubtedly one of the finest monuments in Poland.
Although the Malbork Castle is the most popular monument of Malbork, there are also other landmarks worth seeing, like old medieval churches – the church of the Mother of God of the Incessant Help or another one – St. John Baptist Church. One of the interesting sights is the Old Town Hall, which was the medieval seat of the town authorities.

Comments are closed.