Pleterje monastery

In the foot of the Gorjanci Hills there is Pleterje Charterhouse monastery- the only one preserved in Slovenia. Founded in 1407 by Herman II of Celje, it is today one of the most popular tourist destinations of southern Slovenia. Monastery, due to numerous damages had been constantly rebuilding. The only fully preserved medieval building in this complex is the magnificent church of the Holy Trinity with the characteristic elements of the gothic style.
Near the monastery there is Open Air Museum – an example of historical heritage of Slovenia. It forms small village cottages full of former costumes and tools used in the 19th century.
An additional attraction is the opportunity to buy new household products made by monks. As owners of many grounds located around the monastery, they grape’s plantations, growing fruit trees, bee-keeping, which they want to share to local people and tourists.

Comments are closed.